Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Shaken, Not Stirred

Would you like some Wheat Thins to go along with that cheesy title?

All is fine here...no cracked walls, no fried electrical equipment (pure luck since I did forget to unplug things), no broken glassware ( I can do that just fine myself when I get up in the middle of the night for a drink of water and don't turn on the light to see the wine glass I left in front of the Brita pitcher). Just a good reason to get that Emergency kit started (but tell my aunt the emergency services coordinator that I had my 3 days of food and water, matches, flashlight, cash, important documents, propane burner, can opener, blankets, radio, batteries, bleach etc all ready, ok?).

About the most frustrating thing about the whole day was the drivers who whizzed on through signaled intersections--my usual irate driving mantra changed from "It's like a zipper, people!" (you know, when merging onto the freeway it's one car from the right lane, one car from the on-ramp, right lane, on-ramp, right, ramp--like a zipper) to "It's like a 4-way stop, people!"

But, having been lucky enough to have to never had any personal tragedies associated with earthquakes, I mostly just thought the whole day was cool--a little roller coaster action in the morning, being forced to procrastinate (I know, it was terrible for me) on a paper due that day by email, putting off doing the dishes because I was doing my civic duty of conserving water, friendly chats with strangers, neighbors being neighborly... It brought back those cozy feelings associated with blackouts as a child--candlelit games of go fish, flashlights and an excuse to eat all of the ice cream in the freezer...good times, people, good times.

Even if they are a little more bouncy than normal.

2 Comments:

Blogger sactownkid said...

Glad to hear you are okay. I tried to call on Sunday but got the whole "the lines are busy" mumbo jumbo. Hope the remainder of the week is free of driving freaks and post-earthquake jolts.

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to call as well, to no avail. But, I did geek out! As I was hearing the Big News, I was reading in my Astronomy book about tectonic plates and hot spots and said, "Hey! That was caused by volcanic activity, because Hawaii is sitting on a hot spot in the Earth's crust!" Anywho, glad to hear you're still alive and your witty self. I miss ya!

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home