Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Polish my room's ceiling--I want to see my face shining in it by morning.

So, this is what my ceiling basically looked like before Saturday (but not so bad since I didn't have the forethought to document my room's transformation and this is actually my roommate's moldy ceiling). There were actually little spores of mold growing on surfaces like the book case and night stand. And, I just cleaned them a month ago. I know! Blech!




The angels weren't so pleased about it either. It took some divine intervention, a lot of elbow grease (boy is that stuff hard to package!), a few breaks away from the bleach fumes watching movies and talking to folks, and then...


Voila! Contaminant-free living quarters.

So, what follows is me going overboard with the pics since I haven't posted visuals lately and never so many at one time. I'm just terribly excited about sharing! A Bunch of you will holler, "Hold on there, Tiger! Don't blow your wad in one setting." Really, enjoy it, because as you know me, it might be months before I post again...


I got crafty with the nail polish--yep, a light wood and green frame magically turns into a pinkish and burgandy frame seen next to the plant here.


Then, the photo collage wall since I'm too cheap to buy real art big enough to fit the space.


Or, I just make it, like this lovely piece completed while watching "Punchdrunk Love" last night. Medium: crinkled orange and turquoise tissue paper (the girl never throws anything away), handmade (not by me) dark orange paper flower/star shape cut free-form, and some puffy stars I got at the dollar store, all encased in a plastic box frame ala 1987.


A new irridescent orange scarf is added to the mix...


The dresser that has my blood, sweat and tears--well, no real blood, but after using sheer force to screw the 50 trillion screws for 5 hours before finding out we had a power drill, there should have been blood.


Finally finished the blanket a month or so ago--only problem is that I made up a new pattern and the thing is nearly twice as long as my bed! Good for giants, maybe, or cuddling feet to feet on the couch (plenty to go around!).

Sorry if the light level was too low--I was experimenting and didn't like the look of reflections on the photos with the flash... Anyway, these were the fruits of my labors over the past few days. My rooms feels nice a peaceful and more like "home" than ever. You're all welcome any time.

Promise I won't make you scrub, polish or fetch any pitchers.

5 Comments:

Blogger Autumn said...

MM-

Thanks for reading the blog. Check it out anytime! I'm so envious of you. To be honest, my dream has always been to move to Hawaii and live there. The Hu'bands kinda got in the way, but I'm trying to get him to think about it. If only I can get a research lab to hire him there. I was born there and my mum's family's from there (Chinese/Hawaiian) and it's always been home to me, though never lived there. You're living my life! LOL

Keep in touch,
Autumn

11:05 AM  
Blogger sactownkid said...

I think it looks fantastic, Kates. Wonderful fruit everything!! I'm jealous that Karin will get to see it in person first! Question: How much nail polish did you use (and inhale)? And question 2: what did you use to hang our purses? I definitely need to jimmyrig my own into some sort of system b/c they are hanging all over my kitchen chairs. Question 3: what do i have to do to get a KT-made blanket like the one in the picture?!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Melissa Haworth said...

MM-your room is looking great, I'm inspired to make wall art for my boring TV room (I also save every scrap of tissue paper)

Keep up the posting (and the pictures)

6:24 PM  
Blogger Mrs Mingle said...

I love your digs MM. I'll have to post some homemade art I did recently for our house, I think you'll be surprised ;). And echoing Sactownkid - what does a girl have to do for a KT blanket?

1:17 PM  
Blogger Manoa Missy said...

1. I did work in a well-ventilated room to do the nail polish painting
2. Purses are hanging on nails (painted white) that were mostly there when I moved in--I added a few more as the collection grew
3. Chances are, if you were a roommate post 1997, you got a kt blanket. That's when the blanket-making began. I don't have a blanket in the works right now--visit the lionbrand website and peruse the "homespun" colors (some of the colors are available in stores here). If you really want a blanket, ask me pretty. Then send me 7-10 skeins (depending on how big you want it) and I'll get started :)

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home